How To Wash Tennis Shoes? | 4 Best Methods To Wash Them
Cleaning your athletic shoes makes them smell fresh and prolongs their life, and it only takes a little bit of time to do. Of course, it would be a lot easier to wash everything in the washing machine. However, cleaning your shoes is still easy and simple. It isn’t rocket science; it just takes some practice.
You can clean your shoes by hand to give them a little extra TLC or put them in the washing machine for a primarily hands-off approach. You can even tackle cleaning the soles of your shoes to give them a spruce-up without cleaning the entire thing. Whatever method you choose, you’ll end up with clean and looking shoes that smell (and feel) a lot better!
Find out how to wash tennis shoes by hand or by washing machines below. Also, different materials require different procedures; read below to find that out. From old Nike fly knit shoes to Puma running shoes, you can transform them into brand new sneakers with the methods below.
Best Women's Tennis Shoes For 2021 | Buying Guide
4 Proven Methods for Washing Tennis Shoes
Let’s face it, even the most expensive athletic shoes won’t last forever. Whether from wear and tear to foot odour, stains or excessive trimming of the shoestrings, there comes a time when a pair of your beloved tennis shoes needs to be “cleaned.”
Let’s take a look at four effective ways to wash tennis shoes effectively so you can step out looking your best.
- By classic toothbrush method
- By using a washing machine or washer
- By using bleach
- By using a shoe care kit.
How To Wash Tennis Shoes by Classic Toothbrush Method?
Have you ever wondered why washing your tennis shoes with a toothbrush is one of the most compelling and inexpensive ways to clean them? Although it may sound like a crazy idea, this works very well for getting your sneakers looking as good as new.
- 240 ml of hot water
- Stain remover/spray/dish soap
- Old toothbrush
- Remove the shoelaces.
- Pour two teaspoons of dish soap into 240 ml of warm water.
- Stir the mild cleaning solution until everything’s dissolved. (You want the water to be soapy but clear).
- Put a little mixture on shoes and scrub it against the bristles of an old toothbrush for a few minutes.
- It is best done before the stain remover dries up.
You can apply this process to all-white shoes, including white sneakers, fabric shoes, white leather loafers, and running shoes.back to menu ↑
How To Wash Tennis Shoes in Washing Machine?
There’s no need to worry about cleaning them; they can go into the washing machine. However, before just throwing these shoes in, you’re must give those shoes a little scrub to lose dirt. Also, before taking your shoes into the washer, make sure to place them in a Laundry bag. This way, your shoes will be protected. Also, it is essential to wash your shoes in cold water, although you can use any laundry soap. Finally, allow your tennis shoes to dry when the cycle is over. You can give them air dry or put them in front of the fireplace and let them dry naturally.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Scrub cloth/ scrub brush
- Mesh laundry bag
- Liquid detergent
- Before beginning, you must untie all your shoes with the shoelaces.
- Combine one to two tablespoons baking soda and two parts water to create a paste.
- Dip the bristled shoe brush in the paste and scrub soles of your shoes from outside and insides to remove any stains.
- Make sure your fabric doesn’t get too dirty; you don’t want it to get too stained, but it also shouldn’t have an excessive number of stains either.
- After removing the shoes’ insoles, put your shoes in a plastic bag or pillowcase along with the shoelaces.
- While loading the washing machine, put the shoes in the using a mild detergent.
- Finally, dry your shoes.
If you don’t like the banging noise from your washer, you can toss in your shoes with like-coloured clothes or towels to give shoes some padding.
Besides, you can also take your shoes to a shoe care service that can clean your shoes for you and make them look brand new.
back to menu ↑
The 10 Best Flip Flops
How To Wash Tennis Shoes by Using Bleach?
Bleach is like the knight in shining armour for tough stains. Use it, and your stain will disappear quickly and easily. However, use bleach very carefully because you can do a lot of damage if you get it on your skin. It’s a potent chemical, and too much exposure can cause skin redness, burning, and difficulty breathing.
- Water bucket
- Two teaspoons of bleach
- Dry soft cloth
- Mix one part bleach and five-part warm water.
- For removing surface stains, try using a sponge or toothbrush to loosen them up. Again, it’s okay to use a lot of pressure but focus on the soiled areas.
- Now dampen a small microfiber towel in warm water and squeeze the excess water out of the towel.
- Gently dab the shoes. If you’re cleaning your more brutal shoes like boots, you can run them under the water tap.
- Then leave them to air out for five to six hours by placing them in a well-ventilated area.
Your shoes will look clean and new.back to menu ↑
How To Wash Tennis with Shoe Care Kit?
Washing your athletic shoes at home is easy with a Shoe care kit. The kit contains the basic cleaning and care kit for Tennis Shoes. It is designed to be straightforward to use and put together. Moreover, a kit comes with a buying guide that aids you in washing the shoes.
- Special Shoe Cleaner
- Stain Repellant
- Start by setting aside a small bucket of water and getting your bristle brush nice and wet.
- Apply a small amount of the cleaner to the wet brush and gently lather the solution into the shoe.
- Start with small areas and brush in small circles.
- Once you see the solution begin to bubble and become soapy and have excess foam, wipe the shoe clean with a dry towel.
- Then use water stain and repellent to touch up any minor marks you may have missed and have a perfect spot cleaning. Let dry completely.
Special Considerations for Different Materials
There are various methods and ways to clean the shoes for different materials. The best ultimate ways are discussed below.
How to clean leather shoes
Washing leather shoes is easy. Just spray them down with a cleaner to remove any dust and dirt. You may also want to use a Magic Eraser or leather conditioner to remove any marks that could cause stains, and then use a dry brush to give the leather a light cleaning and polish. It’s best not to put a lot of pressure on the soles of your shoes when scrubbing them. Try to be gentle; else, this will cause the leather to become brittle and crack.
How to clean suede shoes
It’s a good idea to invest in some suede cleaning cloths that will help keep your suede leather shoes looking great and smelling fresh for longer. You should take your shoes for a thorough cleaning every six months. Watermarks, scuff marks, dirt or stains can appear in suede shoes, so it’s best to have them cleaned regularly. Use these recommended tricks, tips, and special tools to get the job done.
- Using a suede brush or towel is a good idea, as it removes surface debris from the suede, making it more durable. You need to work in the same direction as the material, rather than against the grain.
- Use a suede or rough-textured brush to remove any stains on the surface of your shoes carefully.
- Try using white vinegar to clean the stain for stubborn stains on clothes. First, scrubbing with the white vinegar will loosen the stain. Then, rub the stain with a clean cloth in alternating directions.
Best Shoes for Bunions | Expert Guide to Choosing Best Shoes For Bunions
How to Clean Knit Shoes?
With a Flyknit upper, a unique knitting technology gives the shoe maximum flexibility and breathability. It is incredibly light while still highly durable and resistant to abrasion and tearing. To clean it, make a lather with safe soap that does not have any harmful ingredients. Never use harsh chemical cleaners on the Kindle; they can damage the cloth cover and harm the leather. Then take a clean cloth and apply the solution. Finally, take the needle and start stitching it up.
How To Clean Light Color Sneakers?
If you’re not already wearing your favourite pair of white sneakers, you should be! A clean canvas with a new pair of white kicks can make any shoe look better and cleaner, so get the trend going this year! We know light-coloured shoes get easily dirty, and cleaning them is a hectic procedure.
However, you do not need to worry about how to wash white tennis shoes or any other light colour, as we have got you covered. Your white Jordans shoes are ready for the street when you follow the below procedure correctly.
- Vinegar or bleach
- White fabric
- You are going to use either vinegar or bleach for this method. Suppose you are using bleach mix one part bleach to about five parts water. For vinegar, you need to dip the toothbrush into the mixture directly.
- Clean your shoes thoroughly. Pay particular attention to the areas that stains have been heavily soiled.
- Then rinse with warm water.
- Use the cloth to dry.
5. If the shoes are canvas or nylon, you can throw them in the dryer.back to menu ↑
Shoes are meant to get dirty. It’s their purpose, so make sure they don’t get too dirty by knowing when and how to clean sneakers properly. So now get those dirty sneakers and give these cleaning hacks a try and have back your shoe shine.
You can either clean shoes with your hands or in your washing machine, depending on your situation. From washing tennis shoes in a washer to washing them with hand, all methods have been discussed. However, it is essential to note that sneakers should never be put in a dryer as the heat can warp them or damage the glue that holds them together. Instead, it is a good idea to dry your shoes at room temperature.
I hope it will be helpful. Please let us know in the comment section below if you have any further questions.
3 Easiest Steps on | How to Clean White Canvas Shoes | Simple and Quick